Thursday, March 3, 2011

Beginning my Aquaponic Basement Garden

This site has been started to document my journey into Aquaponics.

Definition for Aquaponics from Wikipedia: Aquaponics (pronounced: /ˈækwəˈpɒnɨks/) is a sustainable food production system that combines a traditional aquaculture (raising aquatic animals such as fish, crayfish or prawns in tanks) with hydroponics (cultivating plants in water) in a a symbiotic environment. In the aquaculture, effluents accumulate in the water, increasing toxicity for the fish. This water is led to a hydroponic system where the by-products from the aquaculture are filtered out by the plants as vital nutrients, after which the cleansed water is recirculated back to the animals. The term aquaponics is a portmanteau of the terms aquaculture and hydroponic.

I enjoy gardening at home and hope to use this system as a way to provide fish and produce for my family all year long. Because I will be running this aquaponics system in my basement I will not have to stop gardening because it is winter time or if we are having a very dry season. Aquaponics only uses about 1/10 of the water a normal garden uses.

I hope you will enjoy following along with me as I start my system from scratch and learn along with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment